Job Title: National Programme Officer
Organization Name: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Head Office, Sarajevo
Closing Date of application: 24.07.2019
No. of Posts: 1
The incumbent is responsible for high level analysis of activities and trends relevant for implementation of the Department’s Democratic Governance project. This includes identification and proposal of appropriate project activities in conjunction with other section staff. The incumbent has particular responsibility to monitor, analyze, report and advise regarding relevant developments and trends in the field of good governance in the parliamentary and civil society work. The incumbent will also serve as key section focal point for internal and external written correspondence, ensuring the sustainability aspect of good governance and democratic development achievements is accounted for. The incumbent’s analysis will be essential for more effective implementation and future design of the Democratic Governance project activities. The incumbent coordinates activities closely with the supervisor, Head Office Democratic Governance Project staff, Head of Field Office and other Field Office staff to ensure that there is synergy between different initiatives undertaken at the Democratic Governance Project level, at the level of the Human Dimension Department and at the Field Office level.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Specific duties include:
- Assessing relevant information, gathered through monitoring relevant developments and processes and through direct contacts with the counterparts, and providing regular governance analysis in accordance with direction provided by supervisor. In close consultation with other Democratic Governance Section staff, the incumbent will produce regular thematic reports on work of municipal, cantonal, entity and state institutions with particular focus on political processes and governance. The incumbent will be responsible for reviewing, analyzing and summarizing parliamentary, legal, political and other documents and provide written reports and/or verbal briefings upon request. This will in particular relate to engagement of elected officials at all levels of government and the role of civil society in democratic processes;
- Preparing draft, reviewing and editing the Democratic Governance Section reports, research and correspondence and provides briefings and presentations to external audience when requested. The incumbent will contribute to the development of strategies aiming at ensuring sustainability of good governance and democratic development achievements within the target parliaments and assemblies, as well as within selected organizations of civil society;
- In close cooperation with other staff of the Democratic Governance Section, taking part, assisting and contributing to the design and implementation of the programmatic activities;
- Ensuring that political, policy and administrative issues which might present obstacles to project implementation are addressed, either through direct intervention and/or by bringing such issues to the attention of the supervisor and Head Office staff of the Democratic Governance Project;
- Coordinating, in close consultations with the supervisor, with international and national organizations active in the area of democratic governance in order to prevent duplication and to gain maximum benefit from related initiatives, through regular meetings and monitoring of activities;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- University degree in political or social sciences, public policy, law, or humanities;
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant professional experience;
- Excellent understanding of political system of Bosnia and Herzegovina; competencies, functions and legal environment of governments and parliaments/assemblies at all levels of government;
- Thourough understanding the role of civil society in the democratic system, familiarity with the main mechanisms of citizens’ participation in public affairs, general understanding of trends and issues of civil society activism in BiH;
- Formal training in writing and analysis is an asset;
- Computer literate with practical experience with Microsoft applications;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and in the local language;
- Possession of a valid driving license.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions is 3181.92 BAM/month. Social benefits will include participation in the Cigna health insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3 subject to specific conditions.
How To Apply
This position is open to citizens and permanent residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina only.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies. Please note that offline applications submitted via email, fax, or mail will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.