Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 20 November 2023
Position Title: Senior Project Assistant/Project Coordinator
Contract type: SST Graded (Special-short term Graded contract)
Contract duration: 9 months, renewable
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: SVN 41-11 /23
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – the UN Migration Agency – is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM, together with the international community, assists the population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas, including, amongst others, the protection of vulnerable migrants; border management; assisted voluntary return; diaspora; technical assistance on migration management; disaster risk reduction and recovery.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Head of
Human Mobility and Migration Governance Pillar, the successful candidate will be responsible for
coordinating project activities in the field of Immigration and Border Governance (IBG).
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Only Internal candidates are eligible to
apply to this vacancy
- Assist in the planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Compile, summarize, analyse, and present information/data on specific project topics, highlighting
noteworthy issues for the consideration of appropriate parties.
- Monitor budget implementation and propose adjustments as necessary.
- Act as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive
liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary
clearances, follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
- Draft status reports; identify shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and
suggest corrective measures.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics,
statistical tables, and other forms of documentation.
- Organize meetings, workshops and training sessions; prepare training materials and participate in
the delivering of capacity building workshops.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records.
- Participate in meetings and conferences; maintain effective liaison and coordination with local
authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental
organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Monitor work of implementing partners and report any non-compliance to the supervisor.
- Provide inputs for the development of Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) and concept papers
and provide general support for the development of new projects.
- Provide guidance/training and assist in coordinating and monitoring work of other staff in the unit;
may supervise other staff as assigned.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines,
including those related to confidentiality and data protection.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education: School diploma with six years of relevant experience; or, Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social
Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related
fields from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Prior professional experience in project coordination and implementation including overseeing
procurement of goods and services, recruitment of consultants and organization of events.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United
Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking
and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or
government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Knowledge of project management cycle;
- Knowledge of administrative, financial and logistic procedures, in international organizations
- Excellent writing skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills in both English and local languages;
- Strong computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications (especially
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with little supervision, focused, well organized, detail-oriented.
- Strong interpersonal skills and flexibility, responsibility, integrity, teamwork, self-motivated.
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming is an advantage.
- Knowledge of PRIMA, SAP, ORACLE and IOM financial and procurement rules and regulations is a
Language(s): English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;
encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent
with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability
to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF- Personal History Form and
motivation letter) electronically by email to: [email protected]. Please be advised that only attached PHF will be taken into consideration and processed.
Internal candidates are to apply by sending Internal Application Form in attachment.
Subject: SVN 41-11/23
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 20 November 2023.
Posting period: 07 November 2023 – 20 November 2023.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
IOM CV Form – Personal History Form
As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, external candidates will be requested to
provide evidence of full vaccination against COVID-19. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. For all IOM vacancies, applications form qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite of taking up position as a staff member in the GS category is right of residence and right to work in the country of the duty station at the time of application.