Location : Sarajevo, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Application Deadline : 19-Aug-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Internship
Post Level : Intern
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : Six (6) months
The world has set a very ambitious and necessary Agenda for 2030. All 193 UN Member States have committed themselves to solving the world’s biggest challenges formulated in 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which provide a framework for shared action to be implemented by all countries and all stakeholders, acting in collaborative partnership.
The United Nations (UN) in Bosnia and Herzegovina, led by the UNDP and funded by the Government of Sweden through the Embassy of Sweden/Swedish Development Cooperation (Sida) started “The SDGs Roll-out Support and Private Sector Engagement Project in Bosnia and Herzegovina”, with the aim to instigate landing of the Agenda 2030 in the country, as well as capacitate and prepare private and public sector partners for the SDGs’ implementation, thus directly support the country’s efforts to contribute to the largest global agenda that exists today – Agenda 2030. The Project envisages two outputs/components as follows:
- SDGs Roadmap for Bosnia and Herzegovina developed, and implementation started;
- Private sector actors sensitized and engaged in SDGs prioritization, planning and implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the SDG Project Manager, the Intern will be provided with an opportunity to learn about the Agenda 2030 and the SDGs, UN Development Programme and more specifically about the SDGs project, through performing an array of administrative and substantial duties that will support the SDG project’s mandate. This internship will be exposed to daily routine and learning opportunities within both of the above-mentioned project components.
The Intern is expected to perform the following tasks for the SDGs project team:
- Overall technical, administrative and logistical support to Project activities;
- Prepare reviews, compilations, extracts and summaries based on the already-available comprehensive and extensive UN/UNDP and other relevant projects’ reports;
- Assist with taking meeting minutes, assisting in preparation of presentations and internal administrativedocuments;
- Assist in the organization of conferences, workshops and meetings;
- Assist in drafting routine correspondence with all stakeholders;
- Provision of written translation and interpretation during informal technical meetings from B/H/S to English and vice versa;
- Other tasks as assigned by the SDG Project Manager or other SDG Project team members.
- Have a keen interest in the work of the UN and the UNDP and demonstrate a commitment to its statement of purpose and to the ideals of the UN.
- Ability to successfully interact with individuals of differing socio-economic, religious and cultural backgrounds both professionally and personally;
- Ability and desire to work in a team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Strong research skills and ability to identify relevant information
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Detail-oriented way of working;
- Innovative and creative approach to tasks;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level);
- Be enrolled in a master’s degree programme;
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Proficiency in English and BHS languages.
- Computer literacy in standard office software applications.
The intern will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in in-house training opportunities as applicable;
- Learn about the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Provide ideas and suggestions, thus directly contribute to the success of the SDGs;
- Strengthen his/her effective writing;
- Be part of organizing larger events.
How to Apply
The candidate should apply online through the Job Site by submitting his/her CV and a motivation letter.
Terms and conditions:
- UNDP internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship; however, you will gain valuable insight into UNDP and a global network;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern or sponsoring institution;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- UNDP only accepts interns for a minimum of 6 weeks and a maximum of 6 months;
- Interns are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for their education programme;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
More information available at here.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact [email protected].
More information here.