Closing date: Thursday, 13 January 2022
NOTE: This is a new post and the appointment is a subject of the approval of the OSCE Unified Budget 2022.
The OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina (the Mission) continues to play a vital role in strengthening the country’s ability to foster a sustainable and stable security environment, to strengthen Bosnia and Herzegovina’s governance, and to encourage its consolidation as a democratic society. The Mission supports political and education reform and works to promote and protect human rights of all citizens of BiH.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Fund Administration (CFA), should you be selected for the position, you will provide general counsel and assistance to the CFA and FAU Section Chiefs on legal matters relevant to the Mission’s administrative and operational activities. You will also be responsible for effective and timely delivery of OSCE Mission to BiH contracts management services in full compliance with Common Regulatory Management System (CRMS), as assigned by the CFA. In addition, you will be responsible for building management related issues in the Head Office and in the Field in co-operation with Material Resources and Office of Central Co-ordination. You will be actively involved in all tendering procedures for the Mission.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties: 1. Advising on legal matters related to the Mission’s administrative and operational activities: – Reviewing, drafting, interpreting and assisting in the preparation and negotiation of various legal instruments to be signed by the CFA such as contracts, agreements, Memoranda of Understanding, Co-operation Protocols, etc. Coordinating final clearance with the Office of Legal Affairs in the OSCE Secretariat;
– Providing advice to support proceedings of the Mission’s Funds Material Management Committee (FMMC) and the Survey Board;
– Conducting legal research and analysis, preparing background materials, reports and briefs, and providing recommendations to the CFA and FAU Section Chiefs on legal matters relevant to the Mission’s administrative activities;
– Compiling and maintaining legal library of national and international legislation relevant to the work of the Fund Administration Unit of the Mission as well as a library of legal instruments signed by the CFA;
– Researching, analysing and handling legal aspects of claims and insurance cases involving Mission assets and personnel, and providing advice and recommendations to the CFA on issues such as compensation disputes, claims made by the Mission or third parties, rejections of claims, additional third party claims, etc.;
– Providing advice on legal and administrative matters to the Staff Committee and the Board of Emergency and Charity Trust Fund, as required;
2. Contracts Management: – Establishing and maintaining work programme and schedules for all on-going contracts and newly planned ones;
– Initiating the annual assessment of contractor performance in co-operation with Material Resources and Office of Central Co-ordination, including advice to CFA/FMMC and action to address instances of poor performance and/or noncompliance with contractual obligations, recommending amendments, termination and extensions of existing contracts;
– Assisting in the development of appropriate contract management tools, including electronic ones, contract compliance checklists and implementation plans for standardization and knowledge sharing purposes;
3. Premises Management: – Responsible for matters relating to building lease and contracted maintenance for the OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina premises. In particular, you will plan, develop and manage all contractual aspects of procurements for goods and services related to building lease and maintenance in co-operation with Office of Central Co-ordination and FAU field Administrative Officers and Assistants on the issues related to field office building maintenance and adherence to lease agreements by Mission landlords;
– Initiating market research, using also inputs from FAU field staff, to keep abreast of market developments, researching and analysing statistical data and market reports on availability of buildings and suppliers. Preparing a variety of premises management related documents, contracts, communications, guidelines and instructions;
– Ensuring in co-ordination with Material Resources and Office of Central Coordination integrated activities on common services/office space management and maintenance to include compliance of refurbishment or construction works in accordance with the necessary technical specifications, building codes and regulations;
– Initiating and preparing briefing notes, analyses and reports on Mission premises.
4. Performing other duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, please see: link
- First-level University degree in law;
- Minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in commercial law or property law in the domestic legal system;
- Thorough knowledge of BiH legal system, specifically of the commercial legislation;
- Experience in contract management;
- Established ability to interpret and analyze legislation/legal environment and present complex legal issues in simple term;
- Computer literate with practical experience using Microsoft applications;
- Professional fluency in English with excellent communication (both oral and written) skills and in the local languages;
- Ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds whilst maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Any experience with building management would be considered an asset;
- Holding a valid driving license.
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions is 3,228.92/month. Social benefits will include participation in the Cigna health insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3 subject to specific conditions.
This position is open to citizens and permanent residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina only.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under link
Please note that offline applications submitted via email, fax, or mail will not be considered.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see link
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
- Issued by: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina c3HVeac kLubI
- Requisition ID: EXE000005
- Contract Type: Local Contracted
- Grade: NP1
- Job Level: Professional
- Job Type: Contracted
- Number of posts: 1
- Location: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
- Posting Date: Dec 23, 2021
- Closing Date: Jan 13, 2022
- Target Start Date: Mar 1, 2022
- Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Schedule: Full-time
- Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
More information here