Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 19 July 2019
Position Title: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
Contract type: SST graded, 9 months renewable
Starting Date: end July 2019
Reference Code: SVN 02-06-19
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – the UN Migration Agency – is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM has been present in the Western Balkan region and Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) since 1990s. Since the end of the war, IOM has continued to assist the population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future.
Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in different fields including but not limited to Migration and Border Management (Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants; Counter Trafficking in Human Beings and Counter Smuggling of Migrants); Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE), Reparations; and Migration and Health.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission/Coordinator for the Western Balkans and the direct supervision of the Project Development and Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (PD and M&E Officer), the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant/ Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will provide technical assistance to Programme/Project Managers in designing and implementing Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks and Plans, and in reporting on progress and achievements made in comparison to target indicators as per the developed Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks, in compliance with IOM and donor requirements.
(A) Monitoring & Evaluation, and Reporting for the Sub-regional and BiH PVE Portfolio
- Under the guidance of the PD and M&E Officer, assist the Sub-regional PVE Coordinator to develop and/or update a detailed M&E framework and plan for Sub-regional and BiH PVE projects/programmes;
- Under the guidance of the PD and M&E Officer, assist the Sub-regional PVE Coordinator in the development of M&E and data collection tools, and data storage systems;
- Under the guidance of the PD and M&E Officer, contribute to the identification of strategic PVE programmatic indicators for measuring longer-term change to be applied in a harmonized manner in the WB sub-region;
- Ensure regular review of the application/implementation of the developed M&E framework and plans for the sub-regional PVE portfolio and report any deviance and/or delay to the PD and M&E Officer and the Sub-regional PVE Coordinator.
- Identify M&E training and capacity needs within the sub-regional PVE project/programme team, and assist the PD and M&E Officer in the design and delivery of M&E training sessions for project staff and partners;
- Under the guidance of the PD and M&E Officer, assist the Sub-regional PVE Coordinator in identifying, contracting and overseeing external firms or consultants for the implementation of surveys and studies etc.;
- Support the conduct of timely and high-quality evaluations in accordance with the M&E plans and IOM and donor requirements and expectations, including supporting the development of Terms of Reference for internal and external evaluations; assist in the selection of internal and external evaluators and consultants;
- Assist the PD and M&E Officer and the Sub-regional PVE Coordinator to ensure the appropriate internal and external dissemination of conducted evaluations and evaluation recommendations, to ensure that follow-up initiatives are actioned;
- Under the guidance of the PD and M&E Officer, assist the Sub-regional PVE Project Coordinator in ensuring internal and external information flows regarding IOM’s PVE work, including appropriate information and knowledge products, and, if needed, support the engagement of external consultants for this purpose;
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits and ensure that the findings of those visits are fed back to the PD and M&E Officer and Sub-regional PVE Coordinator.
(B) Monitoring & Evaluation responsibilities for the BiH Mission
- In coordination with the PD and M&E Officer, provide technical assistance to Programme/Project Managers in designing M&E frameworks and plans;
- In coordination with the PD and M&E Officer, assist Programme/Project Managers in the development of M&E and data collection tools, as needed;
- Provide support to Programme/Project Managers in the application of developed M&E tools, ensuring that data and to verify progress is collated in accordance with M&E frameworks and plans, and donor requirements;
- Support the PD and M&E Officer in the regular review of M&E frameworks, plans and tools, including risk monitoring plans, to ensure their continued pertinence;
- In coordination with the PD and M&E Officer, provide technical assistance to ensure that M&E elements are adequately reflected already at the development stage of new project proposals / funding applications (both narrative and budget).
- Carry-out any other duties that may be assigned by by the PD/M&E Officer or Chief of Mission.
- Work together with Programme/Project Managers and Thematic Specialists in developing strategies, or other strategic documents.
- Conduct the above tasks in strict adherence to the confidentiality principles defined within the guidelines of IOM, including IOM Data Protection Principles (IN/138);IOM Project Handbook; and internal monitoring and evaluation instructions and guidelines, especially IN/31 (Rev.1) and IN/266.
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection. (optional as this is already part of the mandatory document to be signed by incoming staff)
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Social Sciences, Economics, Statistics or a related field, with four years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s Degree preferably in Social Sciences, Economics, Statistics or related field, with two years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting to donors
- Experience and understanding of the Western Balkans context
- Experience in working and liaising with a wide range of partners, including government authorities, UN agencies and international organizations
- Experience of the UN system, and working with the UNDAF and SDG projects and procedures wihtin the UN Country Team system is highly desireable.
- Strong computer literacy in MS Office, Photoshop, Publisher and other relevant design programs.
- Driving license and willingness and ability to conduct travel across the Western Balkan region.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (CV, motivation letter and filled out IOM Personal History Form) electronically by email to: [email protected].
Please note that only IOM PHP will be considered.
Subject: SVN 02-06-19
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 19 July 2019.
Posting period: 28 June 2019 – 19 July 2019
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
The SVN is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting and outside commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Duty Station: Sarajevo
Closing Date: Friday, July 19, 2019