ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews seeks a Change Manager, Editorial Program Lead for a USAID-funded media development project in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) focused on supporting media partners in BiH to enhance the quality of their content production, facilitate adherence to journalistic standards, expand their reach and appeal to target audiences, improve their business practices to help them operate as viable enterprises, and increase their security from politically motivated lawsuits and cyberattacks. Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, they will manage a diverse team of local and international consultants, mentors, experts, and implementing media partners to effectively design, oversee, and bring to fruition individual comprehensive projects that broadly focus on various aspects of editorial development. The position is based in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Internews has field offices in Sarajevo. Ultimately, this role will be based in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This a limited duration position, with an expected end date of November 2026
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Work collaboratively with program staff to select qualified media outlets and content producers for program-supported grants, stipends, and technical assistance.
- Conduct technical assessments of project beneficiaries to identify their needs and develop plans to address these needs; ensure that beneficiaries adhere to their plans to meet their stated goals.
- Provide expert editorial trainings, mentoring, and consultations to local media outlets to improve their ability to produce engaging, convergent multimedia content, and/or streamline their newsroom operations.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party and Change Manager, Sustainability Program Lead, oversee the development of training and event agendas, including identifying regional and international thematic experts to serve as trainers, mentors, and speakers. Provide in-person training-of-trainers, trainings, online webinars, master classes, and panel sessions at events, as necessary.
- Foster the development of inclusive ties for program beneficiaries to develop productive working relationships and information exchange within BiH and across the larger region.
- Manage program technical staff experts to ensure that program beneficiaries receive high quality, targeted support.
- Nurture relationships with media outlets and individual content producers in BiH to identify potential program beneficiaries and extend the program’s potential reach.
- Support program reporting, monitoring and evaluation data collection from partners, and other administrative elements as necessary.
- Keep up to date on the latest technology, analysis and business trends in media.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- At least 7 years of professional experience working as a media professional in areas related to editorial development, newsroom management and technical support to media outlets.
- University degree required or equivalent lived/professional experience
- Deep understanding of the media sector in BiH, as well as specific knowledge of the technical challenges facing media outlets in the country.
- Working knowledge in the following areas; professional expertise in at least three of these areas preferred: digital and multimedia content production, media professionalism and ethics, gender sensitive and inclusive reporting, and audience engagement and analytics.
- Demonstrated staff management and mentoring abilities.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as part of a large international team.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze program progress and make strategic suggestions to adjust approaches to ensure program success, often within tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and provide ethical management
- Fluency in English and, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian required.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.