On the occasion of the launch of our new interactive knowledge and communication platform, the ARL is organising a free, non-commercial photo contest and is looking for your personal view on how spaces change over time – a multifaceted theme on which we would like to receive your personal impressions, illustrations and ideas, but also your criticism and perspective on contradictions.
Just like our new platform, your photos should address the diverse issues and challenges with spatial implications: global challenges such as climate change, the energy transition and demographic change have a strong influence on the development of rural as well as urban areas. The rural exodus, migration from cities, post-growth economies and recently the Covid-19 pandemic are transforming previously familiar spaces. Entries to the photo contest may consider any of these aspects and many more, without geographical limits. We look forward to seeing your ideas!
Participation is open to all! Upload the picture via the online entry form by 15 July 2021 at the latest.
You may submit a maximum of three entries; for each photo you can choose one of the three categories:
- Environment, energy and climate change
- Demographic and socio-economic change
- Changing spaces during Covid-19
There will be three winners for each category!
Our rules of participation
- Participation is free!
- The photos must be submitted in JPG format in print resolution (at least 300 dpi) and be reproducible in A2 format (portrait or landscape) (420mm × 594mm).
- By submitting your photos, you declare that you are in possession of the copyrights, that you have respected the personal rights of any persons depicted, and that you grant the ARL simple rights of use (see the obligatory declaration of participation and terms of agreement).
- Please provide a short title and/or a suitable quotation or personal statement.
- Our ARL jury will chose the winners in an anonymous selection process; there is no right of appeal.The Prices for each winner are:
Prize in kind: The winner in each category will be awarded a calendar with the photos of their choice from the contest. The runners-up will each receive a motif of their choice in poster format, and the third-place winners will receive a photo book.We will also print the winning entries as postcards with the photographer’s name and their title/quote/statement.
Please send your entry with your full name and email address so that we can contact you; first-place winners must also provide their postal address so that we can post the calendars to them. We undertake to use the participants’ personal data exclusively for the photo competition; personal data will not be used for other purposes or passed on to third parties. We will contact the first-place winners by email.
We will contact the three first-place winners in each category immediately, and we will publish their entries on the ARL’s new interactive knowledge and communication platform upon its launch in September 2021.