5’s Sustainability Champion Photo Contest
At 5 we’re all about bringing people together to build a more sustainable future.
This photo contest celebrates champions of sustainability: those who are helping to protect the planet by leading, educating, innovating, driving forward solutions to environmental challenges or inspiring others.
It’s an opportunity for you to put the spotlight on a Sustainability Champion you admire – and have a chance at winning one of two €2500 prizes.
All you need to do is take a great portrait of a Sustainability Champion. What’s a Sustainability Champion? Well, it’s anyone who’s doing amazing things and inspiring others in the area of sustainability. They might be an activist, an entrepreneur, a teacher, a volunteer, an artist, a scientist or a schoolkid. We’re interested not just in the well-known movers and shakers, but also the everyday people who are making differences, big and small, all around the world, right now.
You don’t need to be a professional photographer – the contest is open to everyone and FREE to enter.
How to enter
Enter the photo contest via Instagram by following these steps:
- Follow @5media_official
- Create a new post with your photo. The photo itself doesn’t need to be brand new, but it must have been taken no earlier than 2018. (Only one photo per post please.)
- In the caption, write the full name of your chosen champion, and how they inspire or empower others to live more sustainably
- Add the hashtag #5_photocontest
- Tap Share!
Categories and prizes
There are two categories: the Community category and the Jury category.
Ten entries will be shortlisted for each category, chosen based on the criteria below by 5’s Visual Director. From these shortlists, five finalists will be chosen by our jury of professionals, and five will be chosen by the 5 communities, voting at fivemedia.com. From these finalists, the jury will select the winner of the Jury Prize and the community will select the winner of the Community Prize.
Each of the two winners will receive €2500. Winners will also receive:
- Their photo and an interview featured on fivemedia.com
- Their winning photograph published in the next edition of the international print magazine, Let’s Explore
- A one-to-one coaching session or portfolio review with one of our jury members
- The opportunity to pitch a photo essay or gallery for potential publication on fivemedia.com
- The winner of the Jury Prize will have the chance to be a jury member for 5’s next photo contest
- The winner of the Community Prize will have an opportunity take part in a takeover of 5’s Instagram account, to showcase a selection of their work
The jury will be asked to judge images based on the following criteria:
The sense the viewer gets the first time they see the photo, best summed up as “I wish I’d taken that picture.” Compelling images evoke laughter, sadness, anger, pride, wonder, or some other intense emotion. Does the photo have inspirational power? Does it surprise or touch the viewer?
This covers composition, lighting, focus, colour balance. Does the image stand out? Is it skillfully executed? Sharpness, exposure, processing and correct colour are some of the aspects that speak to the quality of the image. These elements should come together to create an effective image.
The image shows a true sustainability champion and is backed by a compelling story. The image conveys something about the person, such as a feel for their character, their work or their story.
Entries are open until 3 May. Finalists will be announced on 24 May and the two winners will be announced on 15 June.
Full terms and conditions can be found here.
Good luck! We can’t wait to see your photos!