Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for qualified and motivated Project Officer who will contribute to provision of essential humanitarian assistance to refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH).
Duty Station:Sarajevo, Sarajevo Canton, with potential field travels to the locations in Una-Sana, Herzegovina- Neretva, Sarajevo Canton, Zenica-Doboj Canton and Tuzla Canton, which host temporary reception centres and/or abound with outdoor areas in which PoCs aggregate.
Project implementation period: January – June 2021
Period of engagement: March – June 2021
Basic functions: Project Officer is responsible for provision of timely and effective support to the target population of migrants, asylum seekers and refugees in BiH, in close collaboration with DRC Protection and Medical teams in Una Sana Canton, Herzegovina- Neretva Canton and Canton Sarajevo, as most affected by migrant flows in BiH.
Reference: Project Officer refers directly to DRC Project Team Leader, working under the supervision of Program Manager and in close collaboration with protection and medical staff.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Ensures direct humanitarian response to humanitarian needs of PoCs in the emergency settings;
- Maintains clear and effective communication with DRC team members to ensure timely referral mechanism for PoCs, need be;
- Regularly liaises and communicates with all other relevant protection and health actors, performing under the supervision of Project Team Leader;
- Collaborates closely with DRC’s partners delivering assistance in outreach and emergency settings (e.g. Red Cross) and ensure timely exchange of relevant information;
- Follows up to the supply chain processes and communicates with the support service department on the procurement processes of core humanitarian and emergency items;
- Supports the Project Team Leader for administrative, technical and financial management of activities, specifically ensuring verification of invoices and release orders in line with DRC and donor guidelines;
- Participates in coordination meetings with different humanitarian actors to share and obtain necessary information on humanitarian needs and responses;
- Assists to the Project Team Leader and Program Manager to collect project information and provide reporting (ad hoc, regular and periodic inputs), aiming at keeping the donor and authorities aware of needs and response;
- Assists the Project Team Leader and Program Manager to enable proper implementation of other project activities by liaising with area-level actors;
Qualification and skills:
- Bachelors or college degree in social or economic sciences;
- Experience working in local or international NGOs and/or the UN system;
- Familiarity with humanitarian response linked to protection and health care delivery in BIH;
- Familiarity with local community capacity building mechanism and related tools;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Valid driving license.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant job experience
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Has ability to assess and analyze the situation and carry out follow-up actions
- Consistently ensures timeliness and quality of the project work
- Shows self-control, perseverance and resilience in the face of pressure or adversity
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disability and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Establishes lasting relationships and substantive dialogue with actors
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.