Position: Communication Officer / full-time
Starting date: ASAP
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension (including 3 months probation period)
Country Programme: Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH)
Line Manager: Project Director
Please note his position is open for citizens of BiH or those with valid work permits.
About the Western Balkans Programme of People in Need:
People in Need (PIN) started working in former Yugoslavia in the early 1990s to deliver humanitarian aid and has remained in the region since to support the region’s social and economic reconstruction and development. Since the late 2000s, PIN has been working with local organizations to promote social inclusion and good governance at the local level. More information is available on PIN’s website, www.peopleinneed.cz.
About the role:
In August 2021, PIN launched a new project titled “MoSTAR” to improve the use of public space and public discourse in the City of Mostar. PIN will lead a consortium of international and local organizations that includes Everyday Peace Indicators, LDA Mostar, OKC Abrasevic, and Nesto Vise to implement the 36-month long project.
PIN is looking for an experienced Communication Officer who will be responsible for ensuring high-quality communication and visibility activities of the MoSTAR project. This entails work on coordination of amplification efforts within the Project. The position is based in Mostar with possible travel in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and update MoSTAR Project Communication Strategy in close collaboration with Project Director and partner Project Managers and Communication Officers.
- Coordinate visibility and communication activities for agreed project activities in close collaboration with Project Manager and partner Project Managers, Communication Officers, and with support from Communication and Advocacy Coordinator (CAC) based in Belgrade.
- Identify stories and good examples coming out of the Project to amplify its effect in local, national and regional media outlets. Employ engaging storytelling technics and tools.
- Organize promotional, communications and other key events for the Project and secure the presence of the media. This may include acting as moderator.
- Monitor and evaluate communication outputs and results, including collecting and analysing press clipping, social media statistic in collaboration with CAC.
- Build capacities of partners’ staff and grantees on communication such as capturing and disseminating information/case studies.
- Lead the production of case studies, press releases, blog pieces, articles and other communications material about the Project and its beneficiaries directly in the field or in close cooperation with the Project staff and partner Project Managers and Communication Officers.
- Manage the Project’s social media accounts, creating and sharing engaging content regularly in collaboration with CAC.
- Create short videos and photos, manage the photo archive of the project and assist in the production of videos and photos prepared internally or by external contractors.
- Share collected materials with Project Director, Project Managers, CAC on a regular basis.
- Network with journalists and actively pitch stories to local, national and with the support of CAC regional news outlets and journalists, providing information about the activities and coordinating between the media and project staff, and accompanying journalists (national and international) on field visits.
- Maintain a journalist contact list.
- Participate in developing Terms of References for external contractors.
- Collaborate internally and with partner community outreach officers and communication staff to develop and implement approach and tools boosting community engagement in activities and reaching new audiences;
- Assess community needs/preferences in communication and support tailoring of feedback mechanisms for each group.
- Ensure the visibility of the Project, PIN and the donor is at all times in compliance with the provided guidelines, Communication Strategy and established agreements, in collaboration with the Project staff and logistics department.
- Create and update information materials (brochures, leaflets, annual reports, etc.) about the Project results, in collaboration with the Project team and CAC.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or other relevant course
- 3+ years experience in a similar position ideally with an NGO
- Growing experience in public relations, communications and tools
- Ability to create and implement a communications and advocacy strategy
- Knowledge of social media and copywriting
- Excellent ability to write, take photos and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism
- Profound understanding of social dynamics and tension triggers in local communities, especially in Mostar, and the ability to communicate in cultural and gender sensitive inclusive manner
- Good understanding of power relations/power mapping
- Ability to instruct colleagues working in the field regarding communication tasks
- Proficiency in English, B/H/S required and in any other regional languages preferred
- Willing and able to travel within BiH and the region
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse team and manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian and development organization
- Salary and benefits according to PIN BiH Salary Scale and HR policies
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Accident and travel insurance and free medical helpdesk
- E-learning courses, webinars, training possibilities
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter in English via this application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.