Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina Application Deadline: 16 October 2022 Position Title: Intern
Contract type: Internship Contract for six months
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: CfA 79-10/22
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – the UN Migration Agency – is the leading inter- governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM, together with the international community, assists the population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas, including, amongst others, the protection of vulnerable migrants; border management; assisted voluntary return; diaspora; technical assistance on migration management; disaster risk reduction and recovery.
Working under the supervision of the Project officer and the direct supervision of the National focal point, the intern will assist with the operational activities of the Integrated Border Management Capacity Building Facility (WBIBM) project.
Tasks will include:
- Provide administrative and logistic support required for the successful implementation of project activities including preparation of payment-related documentation and letters of invitation.
- Support administrative coordination for project implementation, involving liaison with diverse organizational units or external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process, and follow-up on administrative actions.
- Support the organization of meetings, workshops and training sessions.
- Draft minutes from the meetings, basic correspondence, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentations and other forms of documentation.
- Provide the translation of basic documents.
- Set up and maintain files/records.
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, and present information/data on specific project topics.
- Prepare and review texts related to Project/Programme achievements for the purpose of public information and social media activities.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
- Applicants to IOM internships must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
- All applicants must be between 20 and 36 years of age.
3- Applicants should have a working knowledge (both oral and written) of English and Bosnian.
Education & Experience
- Thorough knowledge of English
- Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to organize
- Self-motivated and objective driven
Terms of the Internship Placement
1 – An internship with IOM does not create an entitlement to future employment with the Organization. 2 – During or after the internship, interns may apply and be recruited to a position for which they meet the required qualifications and experience. However, interns will not be regarded as internal candidates. 3 – The internship is normally on a full-time basis. Part-time internships may also be accepted if this option meets the needs of the work department/division/office/unit as well as those of the intern. Interns working on a full-time basis are expected to work 40 hours per week in accordance with the working hours prevailing at the relevant duty station. Interns working on a part-time basis will work in accordance with a pre-determined work schedule.
4 – Interns can transfer to another department/division/section within the same duty station if the intern, supervisor and the Human Resources Unit are in agreement. In the case of a transfer, the total duration of the internship at IOM may not exceed nine months.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (CV and Cover Letter) electronically by email to: [email protected].
Subject: CfA 79-10/22
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 16 October 2022. Posting period: 03 October 2022 – 16 October 2022
As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of full vaccination against COVID-19