Barbie recently made a survey asking mothers about their famous dolls and 86% of the mothers said that they were skeptical about buying one for their daughter, since they were worried about the type of role models that they would be exposed to. That’s why the company decided to create 17 new dolls, each dedicated to a talented and special woman who inspired the world and left a rich legacy for all humanity. On a similar note, the lego company has created a new set to honor the 5 most inspiring women at NASA.
1. Frida Kahlo, Artist
2. Amelia Earhart
The aviation pioneer who got lost with her airplane on her first flight.
3. Martyna Wojciechowska, Journalist
Martyna completed the Seven Summits in 2010, after managing to climb the seven tallest mountains on earth, a journey that she started back in 2002.
4. Patty Jenkins, Filmmaker
The famed director of Wonder Woman who made her big ‘bang’ in 2017.
5. Katherine Johnson, NASA Mathematician and Physicist
Ms. Johnson’s calculations of orbital mechanics were crucial in the success of the first U.S manned spaceflights.
6. Ava DuVernay, Filmmaker
This wonder woman was the first black woman to win the directing award at Sundance Film Festival and also the first black female director to win a Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations.
7. Helene Darroze, Renowner Chef
Helene has gathered two Michellin stars and is the owner of three restaurants, in London, Paris and Moscow.
8. Ashley Graham, Model and Activist
9. Yuan Yuan Tan, Prima Ballerina
10. Sara Gama, Soccer Player
11. Leyla Piedayesh, Designer and Entrepreneur
12. Ibtihaj Muhammad, Fencing Champion
13. Bindi Irwin, Conservationist
14. Xiaotong Guan, Actress And Philanthropist
15. Chloe Kim, Snowboarding Champion
16. Gabby Douglas, Gymnastics Champion
17. Hui Ruoqi, Volleyball Champion
The point in Barbie’s initiative isn’t to create a limited number of such dolls just for Women’s Day, but to insert them formally in the market. It’s important for little girls to be inspired by real women, with real life achievements that go beyond having a certain appearance.