The Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA) at TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology) seeks nominations for the VCLA International Student Awards 2019. The annually awarded VCLA International Student Awards For Outstanding Master and Undergraduate Research (Bachelor) theses (or equivalent) recognize authors of scientific works across the wide spectrum of logic and computer science.
International ( Bachelor, Masters and PhD) students. The degree must have been awarded between November 15th, 2017, and December 31st, 2018, (inclusive). Students who obtained their degree at TU Wien are excluded from the nomination.
Nominations must include:
- A cover page that contains the name and contact details of the nominated person, the title of the work for which the person is being nominated, award category, the date on which the degree was awarded, and the name of the university
- An English summary of the thesis of maximum 3 pages, excluding references (A4 or letter page size, 11pt font min). The summary must clearly state the main contribution of the work, its novelty, and its relevance to some of the aforementioned areas of interest
- The CV of the nominated person, including publication list (if applicable)
- An endorsement letter from a supervisor or another proposing person. The letter must clearly state the independent and novel contribution of the student, and why the proposer believes the student deserves the award
- The full thesis
All documents should be in English, with the exception of the thesis. In case the thesis is in a different language, it must be accompanied by a research report in English of at least 10 pages that should be sufficient for the committee to evaluate the merit and quality of the submitted work.
- The Outstanding Master Thesis Award: 1200 EUR
- The Outstanding Undergraduate Thesis Award: 800 EUR
- Additionally, the winners will be invited to present their work at an award ceremony in Vienna.
How to apply?
Instructions for submitting nominations:
- Nominations should be submitted electronically using the following link here (the link will be updated during February).
- Submissions consist of two pdf files. The first is a single pdf file containing all documents for the nomination except the full thesis; the documents should appear in the order they are listed above. The second pdf file is the full thesis.
- The endorsement letter may optionally be sent by email by the endorser and omitted from the Easychair submission. In this case, please email the letter as a pdf file, including the name of the nominated person in the subject, to award (AT) logic-cs DOT at
- The submission must be accompanied by a plain text electronic abstract of the thesis of at most 400 words, and three keywords.
- The nominated student must be listed as the first and corresponding author in the submission form.
For more information please visit the official website.