Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 29/08/2017
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: I-Master’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Candidates must be BIH nationals or hold a valid working permit issued in BIH. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
The Programme Analyst substantively contributes to the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of sexual and reproductive health and youth. S/he analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. The Programme Analyst guides and facilitates the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation. S/he ensures and guides the appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, contributes substantively to the formulation and design of the country programme and its component projects in the area of Sexual and Reproductive Health in line with Government priorities and according to UNFPA programme policies and procedures. Ensures quality of programme / project design incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems.
- Analyzes and interprets the political, social and economic environment relevant to sexual and reproductive health and youth, and identifies opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention. Keeps abreast of new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks.
- Expedites and coordinates project implementation establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of project inputs and addressing training needs of project personnel.
- Helps create and document knowledge about current and emerging sexual and reproductive health and youth issues, by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Assists advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of Country Office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Representative/Humanitarian Officer the Program Analyst on SRH is member of Country Office (CO) Preparedness Team and is responsible for the SRH/Youth program area of the Annual Preparedness Action Plan.
- The Programme Analyst facilitates the work of consultants, advisors, and experts and establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues. S/he must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to jointly contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate. The SPA is a substantive contributor to the programme team in the Country Office.
- Internal contacts include the Representative, Assistant Representative, the CO’s programme/ technical team. External contacts include other UN agencies in country, and counterparts and partners in Country programme activities, including international NGOs, experts etc.
- Exemplifying integrity
Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
Embracing cultural diversity
- Achieving results
Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
Thinking analytically and strategically
Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationship
Communicating for impact
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus
Engaging internal/external partners
Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
Making decisions and exercising judgment
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
Delivering results-based programmes
Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in health and/or other related social science field.
- Knowledge and Experience:
- Two years professional experience in the field of development, health and population activities, with accent on reproductive health, and in programme / project management
- Fluency in English and local languages is required.
- Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.