Title: Project Associate
Practice Area – Job Family: Environment and Energy
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 08/08/2019
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 7 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 12 months
For Bosnia and Herzegovina nationalsBackground
From an energy consumption perspective, Bosnia and Herzegovina is characterized as a country with very high inefficiency within the residential, non-residential/public, industry and service sector. At the same time however, Bosnia and Herzegovina has one of the most significant energy conservation potentials in the region and could base its further mid-term economic development and generation of new employment on energy efficiency improvement measures in the residential and public sector. Currently, BiH consumes about 20% of its GDP on energy, which is three times higher than in the U.S. and EU countries. Moreover, the average energy consumption of a public building in Bosnia and Herzegovina is three times higher than the EU average, categorizing them as completely energy inefficient buildings (in accordance with EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme – EMAS). In order to meet this energy intensive consumption demand, a significant amount of budget funds must be allocated for energy expenditures of public buildings (educational, health, cultural, municipal and entity/state institutions etc.) representing a major proportion of the already inadequate public budget.
Based on the results achieved so far, the Green Economic Development project (GED) has been developed and will focus on scaling-up and creation of self-sustainability within energy efficiency related activities in BiH and contribution to BiH‘s EU accession and fulfilment of Energy Community Treaty obligations. In order to achieve improvements in the sector, the project developed two set of aims (short-term and mid-term).
- Create interest and motivate public sector buildings’ end-users to invest into energy efficiency by promoting grant co-financing;
- Develop capacity and skills of BiH government levels (systematic approach to decision making processes of energy efficiency investments);
- Achieve budget cost savings through implementation of EE projects in public sector buildings and reinvest savings into energy efficiency or other infrastructure projects.
- Institutionalize energy monitoring and reporting mechanisms / energy management;
- Generate employment of domestic workforce;
- Increase public awareness and understanding of EE benefits;
- Develop and adopt sustainable financial mechanisms for EE project financing (performance-based granting, revolving mechanisms, soft-loans, etc.);
- Contribute to BiH’s EU accession (EPBD, EED and RED directives);
- Lower the risk to enter EE investments/provide loans for EE investments in BiH.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Associate will support the effective implementation of all project activities, in accordance with the corresponding project documents. He/she will support implementation of procurement and administrative activities for more than one projects. He/she will support Project Manager(s) and project teams in administrative activities on the day to day basis. He/she will be responsible to ensure execution of transparent and efficient procurement services and processes, as well as to ensure business process quality.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support to implementation of Projects’ components
- Provides support to the management of day to day activities, with due regard to prevailing standards and best practice;
- Development of action plans, work plans and relevant budgets;
- Ensures that the implementation of projects’ activities corresponds to agreed projects’ budgets and timely informs the immediate supervisor on any deviations;
- Supports the recruitment processes necessary for the implementation of the Projects’ activities/sector
- Monitors quality of delivery of inputs provided by the consultants, beneficiaries and contracted companies and communicate findings to the immediate supervisor;
- Provides support in organization of external evaluation of the Projects;
- Background research on thematic areas related to the Projects and drafting of projects documents;
- Maintains timetables for the Steering Committee meetings and provides support to organizing and holding meetings, including the preparation and dissemination of information and follow-up.
2. Support to Procurement activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of projects related procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Ensure full compliance of Projects Procurement business processes with CO Procurement processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management;
- Supports Project Manager in preparation of procurement plans for projects and their implementation monitoring;
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Coordination with UNDP’s General Services Unit regarding preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in ATLAS as well as vendor creation in ATLAS;
- Preparation of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Presentation of reports on procurement in the Projects;
- Preparation of inventory reports;
- Implementation of Inventory and physical verification control of the projects’ assets.
3. Support to Project Manager in administrative activities on the day to day basis
- Provides support to the Project Manager in the creation of projects in ATLAS, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of projects;
- Provides support to the Project Manager in reviewing the project’s financial reports;
- Creates requisitions in ATLAS; prepares non-PO vouchers for development projects; follows up on timely submission of F10;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS;
- Timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Collects and compiles, on a monthly basis, the following inputs related to projects: list of activities, expenditures and results achieved during the previous month as compared to the work plan, monthly expenditure reports and other related documents;
- Prepares information for audit of directly implemented (DIM) projects, if applicable, supporting implementation of audit recommendations;
- Update of the rosters of suppliers and cross check the update of roster on needs basis;
- Assists in timely reporting;
- Organization of translation services in accordance with business processes
- Ensures timely submission of monthly leave reports and attendance record cards;
- Maintenance of projects files;
4. Business Process Quality Assurance
- Facilitate business processes followed by the Projects in line with the UNDP regulations and rules, policies and the UNDP internal control framework;
- Monitors risk issue logs ensuring that they are regularly filled in with indicator targets;
- Acts as projects’ focal point in ensuring that all procurement and recruitment activities are in line with UNDP standards and procedures;
- Assists in timely reporting;
- Compiles projects Financial Reports, if applicable
5. Support to the Project Manager in effective mainstreaming of gender equality
- Provides effective support to the Project Manager in mainstreaming gender equality in Projects implementation as well as that knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in the projects’ knowledge management activities and products;
- Provides effective support to the Project Manager in incorporating gender equality in all the areas of implementation of Projects components, in the Projects Reports and in the organization of the Project evaluations and audits;
- Ensures that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs relating to programme, are sex and age disaggregated and evaluated from the gender point of view;
- In the preparation of meetings/consultations/trainings/commissions ensure minimum 30% participation of the other sex.
6. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing within the Project, related to POPP application
- Organization of trainings for the staff within the Projects on POPP, Procurement as well as on UNDP procedures;
- Organization of Project knowledge management activities;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in projects;
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Responds positively to new approaches
Level 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Economics, Finance, Business or Public Administration;
- Secondary Education with additional three years of experience may be accepted in lieu of University Degree.
- At least 4 years (7 years with secondary education) of progressively responsible administrative or project experience is required at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Knowledge of finance management system used by UNDP would be an asset.
- Fluency in English and official BiH languages.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
More information here.