Title: Project Manager
Practice Area – Job Family: Environment and Energy
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 13/08/2018
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 7 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 12 months
BIH citizens only
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Energy and Environment (EE) Sector Leader (SL) the Environmental Development Project Manager will manage implementation of the “Catalyzing Environmental Finance for Low-carbon Urban Development” project (LCUD) funded by GEF, as well as other environment based projects and activities in the area of waste water management, waste management, emission to air, environment reporting system and chemicals.
The objective of the project “Catalyzing Environmental Finance for Low-carbon Urban Development” is to leverage investment for transformational shift towards low-carbon urban development in Bosnia and Herzegovina thereby promoting safer, cleaner, and healthier cities and reducing urban GHG emissions.
To enable this transformational shift, the project will facilitate implementation of technically and economically feasible low-carbon solutions in key urban sectors, and promote their wider uptake by municipalities and private sector via dedicated financial mechanism established within the national environmental finance framework. The project will also accelerate the implementation of a policy and regulatory framework supportive of low-carbon investment in cities by introducing new and updating existing environmental legislation in BiH on entity level.
The outcomes are:
- Strengthened public capacities to programme and monitor environmental finance for LCUD.
- Increased and diversified sources and modalities of public investment in LCUD.
- Strengthened capacities of municipal managers, companies and utilities to monitor resources use, prepare and implement feasible infrastructural LCUD projects.
- Reduced GHG emissions from pilot investments.
- Reduced GHG emissions from improved waste management system as a result of waste minimization.
- Reduced GHG emissions from improved waste management system as a result of waste collection route optimization.
- LCUD-related policies adopted and institutional coordination strengthened.
- Increased awareness of urban dwellers regarding LCUDs.
The Environmental Development Project Manager will be in charge of day-to-day implementation of the project’ activities in BiH and collaboration with key local partners (MoFTER, Environmental ministires in RS and FBiH, and Environmental Fund in RS and FBiH) in delivery of the project’s and other planned outputs. In addition, the Project Manager will also be responsible for providing overall direction, development and oversight of work-plans, operational management, supervision of employees within the project, financial management, partnership collaboration and coordination, monitoring, evaluation and regular reporting on activities in accordance with the relevant project document. Moreover, the Project Manager is expected to support the Sector to obtain additional resource mobilization of environment related projects.
The Environmental Development Project Manager will be expected to closely coordinate his/her activities with the EE SL to whom he/ she will report and communicate all activities timely and adequately.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the EE Sector Leader and overall supervision of Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), as well as in consultation with the Project Board, the Environmental Development Project Manager is responsible for day-to-day management, co-ordination and supervision of the Project implementation.
The incumbent’s duties are outlined below and are to be undertaken with due respect to UNDP regulations and rules as well as internal control framework, and in line with the guidance of the Project Board:
Overall project management
- Ensure sound project management of and take full responsibility for the implementation of the programem, as per the project documents and the UNDP rules and regulations;
- Develop annual activity and procurement work plans, as well as budgets based on expected year-end outputs, and ensure close monitoring of activities and delivery;
- Provide direction and guidance to the Project Team;
- Report to the Project Board to assure the overall direction and integrity of the programme;
- Build, motivate and lead a high performing team consisting of project personnel, expert consultants, service providers, and conduct performance assessments of the team, as per UNDP rules and regulations;
- Provide inputs in identification of linkages between the project and other related projects in UNDP, in BiH, or beyond, maximizing the efficient and effective use of resources;
- Securing proper and efficient use of project budget, as per the project document;
- Manage financial allocations and approve expenditures according to authority delegated and ensure timely payments in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide;
- Coordinate the recruitment of projects personnel;
- Ensuring proper use and maintenance of projects equipment and office records and any other documentation by the project personnel.
- Prepares a detailed work plan for the project, manages the procurement and the project budget to assure timely involvement of local and international experts, organisation of training and public outreach, purchase of required equipment etc. in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
Policy advice and technical guidance
- Provide conceptual guidance and technical advice to the Project team and Project counterparts in the area of environment in general, waste water management, waste management, emission to air and chemicals;
- Provide strategic leadership and steer the regulatory and policy formulation processes within the Project in line with the Project document, observing the application of EU standards and international standards and conventions in these processes and ensuring sustainable and lasting changes;
- Guide the design of the Project comprehensive assistance to local governments and local utilities and provide technical advice in its delivery;
- Participate in project-level committees, policy and capacity development working groups and events;
- Ensure that achieved policy and legislative is mainstreamed within the Project field work, other relevant UNDP interventions, as well as promote their application beyond UNDP scope of work.
- Provide technical support and back-up services to Programme Manager.
Project monitoring, reporting and quality assurance based on the principle of result-based management:
- Review on a regular basis projects details, schedules, deliverables and budget as articulated in the Annual Work Plan – AWP (evidence of progress towards expected outputs, according to schedule, within budget) with the project team;
- Monitor and analyse Project progress, using applicable monitoring & evaluation and risk management tools in ATLAS;
- Manage and monitor the identified project risks and issues; submit new risks and issues to the Project Board for consideration and decision if required; update the status of project risks and issues by maintaining the logs;
- Ensure timely submission of the Project Progress/ Annual Narrative and Financial Reports and other reports as may be required by the UNDP and Project Board;
- Monitor and analyse the project environment and progress, using applicable monitoring and evaluation and risk management tools where relevant;
- Advice on timely readjustment of project strategies and corrective actions as necessary;
- Carry regular, announced and unannounced performance monitoring of the project team, as well as conduct field visits and quality checks of projects events, sites and activities;
- Prepare analytical reviews and systematically capture lessons learnt from the project implementation; identify follow-up actions and submit them for consideration to the Project Board.
- Submission of annual Project Implementation Reviews and other required progress reports (such QPRs) to the Project Board and the UNDP in accordance with the section “Monitoring and Evaluation” of the Project Document.
Knowledge management and gender equality:
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Support continuous learning by the project team;
- Ensure dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Ensure that achieved project key results, knowledge tools and products have been mainstreamed within the project field work, as well as within other relevant UNDP interventions and support their popularisation and application beyond UNDP scope of work;
- Manage the transfer of projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the project activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Project knowledge management activities and products.
Partnership and advocacy
- Establish and maintain good working relations with relevant institutional and organisational partners at state, entity, and local levels, as well as with main international organisations as relevant for the project implementation;
- Arrange, prepare and follow-up on meetings with direct stakeholders such as local, cantonal and national Government, industry (hotspot owner), affected local communities and/or NGOs (representing local or wider environmental/ ecological concerns), project consultants and (engineering) contractors;
- Encourage active participation of all stakeholders in order to promote empowerment and ownership of national counterparts and stakeholders.
- Actively work on the relationships with the local authorities and other project stakeholders, ensuring full understanding, cooperation and a best fit of the programme activities with the needs of the beneficiaries
- Animate effective dialogue with partners and among stakeholders and engage with relevant donors and contribute to the CO resource mobilization efforts in the area of environment and chemicals.
- Identify and support the realisation of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders, which would add value and maximise the programme results;
- Ensure full understanding, cooperation and, wherever possible, synergy of the project efforts of the International Community in the area.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- In-depth knowledge on development issues, especially in gender equality and social inclusion;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management: Contributing to results through primary research and analysis
- Provides information for linkages across project activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Effectively networks with partners and remain up-to date on partnership related issues;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners.
Resource Mobilization: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of Project profiles. Identifies opportunities for Project proposals for presentation to donors.
Client Orientation: Establish effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Promoting/safeguarding ethics and integrity,
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disabilities, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people and partners fairly without favouritism;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and strong ability to continuously self-motivate;
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time;
- Excellent diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to liaise effectively with government and stakeholders at the highest levels;
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent conceptualisation and analytical skills, as well as proven ability to draft documents in clear and concise manner.
- Excellent communication skills with excellent presentation skills;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective project team;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent project team;
- Managing conflict;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Informed, fair and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in environmental/ technical/ development/ management related studies or other related disciplines;
- BA degree with additional two years of experience could be accepted in lieu of MA.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing projects, including demonstrated capacity to actively explore new, innovative implementation and financing mechanisms to achieve the project objective;
- Excellent understanding of environmental issues in BiH (waste, waste water, emission to air, chemicals and air pollution of the energy and industry sector);
- Demonstrated experience in working with government, donors and the United Nations system;
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with national government challenges, NGOs and Donors;
- Good understanding of post-war and post-socialist transition context, poverty and local development support strategies.
- Fluency in English and languages of people of BiH
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.