Title: Project Officer
Job ID: 20109
Practice Area – Job Family: Peace Building
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 13/01/2019
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 7 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: Duration of initial contract is 6 months (project duration is until March 2021)
BIH citizens only
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP BiH RWC Project Coordinator, and the overall supervision of the UNDP RWC Chief Technical Advisor, the RWC Project Officer will contribute to the implementation of the UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) “Regional War Crimes” Project (RWC Project), funded by the United Kingdom (UK).
The RWC Project Officer will provide technical advice and contribute to the implementation of the different project activities, that are coherent with the project framework. S/he will provide substantive technical support in designing and delivering project activities, ensuring their consistency and compliance with the national legislative and policy frameworks. S/he will also ensure preparation, implementation and M&E of Micro-Grant Capital Agreements to project partners.
The RWC Project aims to strengthen the rule of law in order to effectively fight impunity for war crimes through supporting regional cooperation for war crimes processing. The project builds on the Platform for Regional Cooperation on processing war crimes and the search for missing persons, established among the State Prosecutors (POs) and the institutions for the search of missing persons of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia, which has been facilitated by UNDP since 2015 under the initiation phase of the project. The platform has supported trust-building among the key actors, re-activation of cross-border communication, exchange of information and evidence, as well as commitment to joint investigations.
The overall aim of RWC Project will be realized through the achievement of the following project outputs:
- Strengthened regional cooperation among prosecution services through improvement of the legal framework for cross-border cooperation aimed at increased efficiency of the war crimes processing in BiH, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia;
- The establishment of cross-border victim and witness support system and framework of regional consultations between the victims’ associations and Prosecutors Offices (POs), including enhanced communication with victims and the public.
Overall, the project will contribute to maximizing societal impact of criminal proceedings and other transitional justice processes contributing to a conducive environment for reconciliation and sustaining peace in the region. It will also enhancing cross-border support to victims and witnesses, facilitating regional dialogue among POs and between them and other relevant institutions and victims’ associations, and promoting transparent and data-based communication and public outreach on processing of war crimes cases.
The RWC Project Officer will be expected to closely coordinate his/her activities with the UNDP RWC Chief Technical Advisor and RWC Project Coordinator.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Contributes to effective implementation of UNDP IRH Regional War Crimes Project focusing on achieving the expected project outputs and set project activities
- Contributes to timely implementation of the project activities in line with the approved Project Document and Annual Work-plan;
- Contributes to the project activities such as workshops, studies and publications, subcontracting, procurement of equipment and services;
- Ensures cooperation and collaboration with national partners;
- Contributes to annual work plans with indicative scheduling of identified main output and activities as guidance documents for the formulation and review of annual work plans;
- Contributes to close coordination between other relevant projects and programmes in the field of war crimes processing, both in-country and at regional level;
- Contributes to the achievement of RWC Project’ output and results with the required quality standards and within the specified cost and time limits.
Provides technical advice necessary for successful implementation of the Project activities
- Contributes to the capacity building activities and awareness raising of key stakeholders regarding war crimes processing and relevant regional cooperation, with focus on the civil society and NGO community;
- Contributes to relevant policy briefs, lessons learned documents, communication materials, website updates, and other relevant publications;
- Provides advice to UNDP RWC CTA and UNDP RWC Project Coordinator on relevant RWC Project programmatic and operational areas.
Ensures duly preparation, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of Micro-Grant Capital Agreements (MCGAs) allocating funds to the project partners
- Carries out regular follow-up and monitoring of implementation MCGAs;
- Carries out regular monitoring and reporting on risks and mitigation measures relevant to implementation of MCGAs;
- Contributes to RWC Project reports, including narrative and financial reports to relevant parties as well as annual progress and expenditure reports, as per donor requirements;
- Provides regular updates on the progress of implementation of MCGAs to UNDP RWC CTA and UNDP RWC Project Coordinator.
Continuous Business Process Quality Assurance in accordance with UNDP Rules and Regulations in cooperation with RWC Project Assistant
- Facilitates business processes followed by the Project in line with the UNDP Rules and Regulations, applicable procedures and policies and the UNDP Internal Control Framework;
- Monitors and regularly updates Global Atlas System Project repositories as well as Project Monitoring Platform and Project Risk and Issues logs ensuring that they are regularly updated with project indicators, targets and progress/results in coordination with the RWC Project Coordinator;
- Supports RWC Project Coordinator in ensuring that procurement and recruitment activities are implemented in due course and as per Procurement Plan, Recruitment Plan and in accordance with UNDP Rules and Procedures;
Knowledge management and gender equality
- Contributes to wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Contributes to dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Contributes to maintaining the pool of projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the project activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Project knowledge management activities and products.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
Building Strategic Partnerships/Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
- Maintains databases of donor information.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches;
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions;
- Responds positively to new approaches.
Resource Mobilization/Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Maintains database of project files;
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing/Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Client Orientation/ Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Law, Social Sciences, International Relations, Governance, Human Rights, Development, Economics or any other related field;
- A Secondary Education degree in combination with additional three years of qualifying experience is accepted in lieu of the University Degree.
- At least 4 years of experience in projects relevant to the field of rule of law, justice or security;
- In-depth knowledge and experience in coordination and policy advice relevant to the implementation of grants to CSO and NGOs;
- Knowledge and experience in working on policy development and capacity building is an asset;
- UN experience and experience in United Nations inter-agency work is an asset;
- Knowledge of UN/UNDP operations and programmes and familiarity with UNDP programme execution rules and regulations is an asset;
- Fluency in English and Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian (BCMS) is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.