Vacancy End Date (Midnight Geneva, Switzerland): 15/07/2016
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Contract duration: 12 months
Only BiH citizens; Only shortlistied candidated will be contacted
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the supervision of the UN Women Representative, in close collaboration with UN Women ECA RO, relevant HQ units and the UN Communications Working Group, the Communications Officer is responsible for developing strategic communications, advocacy and media outreach initiatives and managing media/press coverage and oversees the production of a range of communications materials for UN Women CO Bosnia and Herzegovina, including for the UN Women Country Office website, and for online and offline audiences. S/he is responsible for timely, accurate and high-quality informational materials, such as press releases & media advisories, news briefs, fact sheets, stories from the field etc. for media outreach, the UN Women website, and inclusion in informational kits for further public outreach.
The Communications Officer will collaborate closely with UN Women RO and the Headquarters colleagues to ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies, standards and initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide support to ensure UN Women Country Office visibility:
- Support implementation of UN Women Country Office communication strategy and work plan;
- Provide communication support to UN Women projects teams;
- Liaise closely with UN Women Communications Team at RO and HQ to feed regional/national initiatives into corporate communications initiatives;
- Support development and maintenance of contacts and regular communication with government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for resource mobilization and implementation of the communications strategy;
- Produce targeted communications and advocacy materials to raise the profile and visibility of the office and its work for resource mobilization;
- Be the focal point of UN Women in the UN Communications Working Group;
- Ensure UN system wide collaboration on key international days and campaign about gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Oversee and maintain UN Women Country Office online outreach and produce information materials for public outreach:
- Support visibility of UN Women CO in Bosnia in regional/global UN Women and national UN websites;
- Oversee and manage national social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy and provide inputs to regional/global social media accounts;
- Drafts brochures, fact sheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public;
- Engages and manages in video production on UN Women work when relevant;
- Identifies effective channels for dissemination of all information products to relevant target audiences and supervises distribution.
Provide support to UN Women special events, campaigns and SDGs:
- Organizes targeted advocacy around major international days and UN Women/UN campaigns related to Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment;
- Organizes special events and/or provides UN Women inputs into special events conceptualized with a view to reaching wider audiences including conceiving concepts and developing relevant materials;
Build UN Women CO Bosnia and Herzegovina media/press relations:
- Media/communication strategies conceived, planned and implemented in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media in Bosnia, with a special focus on national priority areas of concern;
- Opportunities for press conferences identified and press conferences organized; interviews with senior managers facilitated;
- Press releases and media kits drafted;
- Clear, consistent and timely responses to media inquiries; issuance of statement and corporate positions to media and other external audiences;
- Maintained and expanded contacts with national media; topics, background information, news-related developments and coverage of interest to each identified;
- Identifies new communications partnerships and media alliances to enhance the visibility and cement UN Women as a thought-leader;
- Identifies innovative opportunities and new communications tools and platforms which can serve to highlight the work of UN Women;
- Collaborates closely with RO/Multi Country Offices /Country Offices communications officers in the region to advance regional and national communications partnerships.
Core values / guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Advocacy / Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Supports the preparation of information for advocacy and identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences;
- Researches contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society and other stakeholders for the UN Women CO’s advocacy efforts;
Job Knowledge / Technical Expertise:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Knowledge of gender issues;
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- In-depth knowledge of communications issues and production of various communications products;
- Excellent oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
Building Strategic Partnership:
- Maintains information and databases;
- Analyses general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches;
Creating visibility for UN Women / Supporting UN Women’s capacity to Advocate;
- Conducts research and gather information;
- Disseminates information and materials on UN Women CO activities;
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities;
- Demonstrates ability to extract, interpret, analyse data and present it in comprehensive and reader-friendly way;
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
- Conducts research and provides information
- Responds positively to new approaches;
- Demonstrates ability to extract, interpret, analyse data and resolve problems;
- Maintain effective client relationships;
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree (BA) in media and communications, journalism or related field.
- A minimum 3 years of experience (post-BA) in communications including experience in media relations;
- A minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national level in delivering communication services to promote the activities of international development organization;
- Experience in promotion of gender issues;
- Experience in producing communication materials (print and online) for a variety of media;
- Good understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms;
- Good understanding of web development technologies;
- Experience in on-line outreach and multimedia;
- Previous experience within the UN System is an advantage;
- Proven experience in campaign and event organization;
- Experience in use of web editing tools and social media platforms;
- Experience in photograph and video editing.
- Excellent English and B/S/C language skills, both written and oral.
– See more at: http://www.mreza-mira.net/47952-un-women-communications-associate/#sthash.YiIPzqsQ.dpuf