The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Head of the Office or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Programme Assistant will:
- carry out background research and draft concept notes for the preparation of planned activities, as well as for the development of new project proposals;
- draft outreach materials (e.g. press releases, speeches, presentations);
- contribute to the organization of workshops, including: liaising with partners, contractors, and participants; arranging logistics; and reporting;
- assist in representing the Regional Bureau and its Antenna in meetings and events, as deemed necessary;
- assist in contributing to the participation of UNESCO in UNDAF, One UN programmes and Joint programmes at country and sub-regional level;
- assist in implementation of specific administrative services, ensuring consistency and timely deliveries;
- support UNESCO actions in relation to the overall UN reform process; any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor
Application deadline: 11 August 2019.
More information here.
Benefits and entitlements within UN Volunteers programme here.