2-year Postdoctoral Fellowships are for all those in the early stage of their career who plan to develop and implement an independent research project.
The Zukunftskolleg provides them with a professional infrastructure and an appropriate workplace for conducting research. Each fellow receives an annual research allowance, e.g. for funding research assistants or equipment. Furthermore, the Zukunftskolleg gives financial support for start-up, consumerables and travel costs, and assists in developing academic skills.
Each fellow is a member of both a university department and the Zukunftskolleg. A mentoring committee supports each fellow in her/his career development. This committee consists of an experienced researcher from the Fellow’s research field within the university department, as well as an advanced Research Fellow of the Zukunftskolleg.
Fellows have a work contract with the University of Konstanz and are expected to have their place of residence in Konstanz. They participate actively in the regular weekly meetings (Jour Fixe) of the Zukunftskolleg and have an opportunity to teach.
Postdoctoral Fellows profit from all support measures available at the Zukunftskolleg:
- they receive an annual research allowance e.g. for funding research assistants or equipment;
- they are eligible to apply for co-funding
- Senior Fellowships and the Mentorship Programme give them the opportunity to invite distinguished colleagues to Konstanz;
- they can go on a temporary Research Visit abroad or nominate international early career researchers for a Research Visit at the Zukunftskolleg;
- they are eligible to apply for funding for cooperative initiatives or for funding for particular career stages;
- they receive non-monetary support like coaching, professional career counseling or in grant proposal writing;
- they get financial support to organise and run a scientific retreat Inhalt ein-/ usklappen.
In order to be eligible, candidates must fulfill all eligibility criteria:
- applicants must have a doctoral degree and have acquired two years of postdoctoral research experience at most
- applicants cannot hold an academic permanent position, a professorship, or have an habilitation or equivalent (“venia legendi”)
- applicants must propose a research project that ties in with a discipline represented at the University of Konstanz
- applicants with their own position funded by another program, which can be transferred to Konstanz, are also eligible.