Location : Sarajevo, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Application Deadline : 22-Apr-18 (Midnight New York, USA)
Time left : 9d 12h 57m
Type of Contract : Internship
Post Level : Intern
Languages Required : English
Women in Elections in Bosnia and Herzegovina main objective is to strengthen women’s leadership and participation in political life. Guided by the strict observance of the highest standards of political neutrality, UNs Gender Equality in Elected Office approach will be applied to help secure an enabling environment for getting more women elected across board, in all spheres of decision-making in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It will do so by looking into enhancing the women’s engagement in public life and their position in the decision-making to ensure they are given a realistic and equal chance as their men counterparts in the next local elections in 2020 by advocacy for women’s equal rights and political participation.
Strengthening women’s leadership and participation in political life will apply the two-pronged approach- vertically by proposing structural adjustments to accommodate greater numbers of women in politics, as well as horizontally by nourishing the next generation of women leaders in communities through tailored networking and capacity building initiatives that will rely on but also reinforce the existing initiatives.
To this end, the project aims to utilise the “entry points”, contextual enablers, and programming opportunities to open up spaces for women’s leadership and strengthening their participation in political life. It is important to highlight that UN support will be provided equally to all across the political spectrum with no favors towards anyone.
Under overall supervision of project manager, the intern will work closely with Gender Advisor and in cooperation with relevant team members to contribute to implementation of Women in Elections project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
Provide Research, Documentation and Knowledge Generation Support:
- Support team with inputs for desk research related to the legislation amendments and structural obstacles to political participation of women in BiH;
- Collect global best practice in political participation of women;
- Support team with research related to gender equality priority areas that is determined jointly by the supervisor, gender specialist and the intern;
- Provide concurrent research and documentation support for ongoing gender equality related initiatives and briefing/concept notes;
- Collate and organize knowledge resources and facilitate their dissemination;
- Draft, review and/or edit gender equality related inputs such as: texts, blogs, knowledge products, narrative reports, research reports, evaluation reports etc. for project initiatives;
- Compile lessons learnt, experiences and stories with a gender angle of the key thematic development areas;
- Provide relevant inputs for UNDP CO Gender Action Plan.
Provide Knowledge and Information Management Support:
- Assist in preparation of knowledge resources, communications and background material for internal and external use, including fact sheets on gender equality issues;
- Support content creation and/or editing of gender equality inputs for the project activities;
- Support aggregation of data and consolidation of gender equality related information;
- Assist in day to day management, documentation and reporting on gender equality activities as required;
- Provide technical and logistical support for organizing workshops, meetings and consultations with relevant stakeholders;
- Participate in various meetings with partners and other stakeholders and prepare notes/meeting minutes.
- Gender equality research and documentation for the project, including desk research, research reports, briefing notes and narratives;
- Knowledge resources and communications material;
- Best practices, lessons learnt, experiences and stories with a gender angle of the key thematic development areas;
- Compile and update databases for knowledge resources and partners;
- Provide support for organising trainings/events/meetings.
The intern needs to have a strong commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women, political participation of women and community development. He/she is required to demonstrate writing skills and creative thinking. He/she needs to adhere to the United Nations’ core values of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, as well as its core competencies of communication, teamwork, planning and organizing, client orientation, creativity, commitment to continuous learning and technological awareness.
Required Skills and Experience
- Currently enrolled in a master’s or in the final year of a bachelor’s programme as well as recent graduates from BiH and abroad, in the field of gender studies, political science, law, international development, journalism, English language, or related social sciences.
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Strong analytical skills and creative thinking;
- Excellent drafting/writing skills in English;
- Organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English language
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
REFER A FRIEND, APPLY NOW
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact [email protected].