PhD Position in Evolutionary biomechanics, University of the Sunshine Coast, Australia.
The Clemente Lab at the University of the Sunshine Coast, Australia is seeking outstanding applicants for fully-funded PhD scholarships.
Our research focuses on the relationship between form, function and ecology of living and extinct animals. This project aims to explore how well evolution can perform by comparing biological systems, with robotic (and computational) systems which mimic them.
The PhD project will contribute to research that explores the limits to natural evolution.
The successful candidate will do this by:
- Measuring natural variation in running and climbing biomechanics in
three species of lizard which vary in body size.
- Constructing small autonomous climbing robots, recreating the technique used for each lizard species. Then expand the control space with small changes in biomechanics, to determine how well each species is optimised for climbing performance.
Essential qualities for candidates include:
- strong computational and analytical skills in biomechanics
- experience using biomechanical assessment tools (e.g. high speed
video, force plates)
Preferred qualities for candidates include:
- interpersonal skills to work effectively with research animals, team members, and project collaborators.
- excellent critical thinking skills, ability to work independently
- research experience and practical knowledge of research principles is required whether through previous internship, work experience, or coursework.
- interest or previous experience in electronics/microprocessors.
- interest in evolutionary theory
The Clemente Laboratory is part of the Animal Ecology Lab within the University of Sunshine Coast. We are located on the Sunshine Coast, approximately an hour north of Brisbane Queensland on the Sippy Downs campus.
Course fees and a living stipend (currently $26,300 AUD per annum, tax free) will be included as part of the scholarship.
The opportunity is open to both Australian/New Zealand nationals and international candidates, however exceptional international candidates will be considered (with top-up scholarships available to cover international tuition fees).
For queries or if you are interested in applying please contact Christofer Clemente, PhD, School of Science and Engineering, [email protected] with your CV.
USC, Locked Bag 4, Maroochydore DC, Queensland, 4558 Australia.
CRICOS Provider No: 01595D
Please consider the environment before printing this email.