The Security Cooperation Unit provides support to Bosnia and Herzegovina in strengthening the security environment of the country by building an inclusive and holistic security sector that is responsive to the dynamic and changing security situation while fully meeting its international multidimensional security commitments. The Security Co-operation Unit implements a broad range of activities, which inter alia includes initiatives aimed at capacity building of defence and security institutions in BiH and supporting BiH in upholding the principles of democratic control of armed forces and oversight of the defence and security sector, as well as assisting BiH in meeting its OSCE politico-military commitments.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will be tasked with contributing to the implementation of and reporting on SCU-related projects, as well as assisting in drafting relevant policy documents. Under the overall supervision of the Policy and Information Officer, the intern will be requested to carry out the following duties:
- Assisting the Policy and Information Officer in coordinating planning, development and execution of Security Co-operation Unit strategy, policy, projects and activities;
- Assisting in providing analysis of current and long-term trends and issues pertaining to SCU-related areas of engagement (essentially compliance, arms control and countering trans-national threats in the field of security). This includes analysing and recommending follow-on work for the OSCE and/or other organizations and donors in BiH; Compiling information and substantively editing and revising documents;
- Assisting in reviewing output from other Section members as required to ensure that policies and information are accurately represented and to ensure appropriate use of language;
- Providing first drafts of SCU project reports, policy documents, budget requests and related documents;
- Assisting in developing and maintaining presentations for external counterparts and visiting groups;
- Following up with HDD and other Mission’s audiences to cross-check and/or gather additional information;
- Drafting input for SCU monthly/weekly reports for internal and external circulation;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Be between 19 and 30 years old on the date of the deadline of this vacancy notice;
- Have completed two years of full-time undergraduate studies in international relations, political science, security studies, public policy, public administration or another related discipline, OR one year of full-time graduate studies from an accredited institution, OR have completed a first degree in a field relevant to the OSCE’s mandate no longer than two years ago by the date of the deadline of the vacancy notice;
- Good knowledge of the political situation in BiH, international organizations in BiH and their activities and mandates is required;
- Familiarity with OSCE policies, procedures, practices, programmatic work and organizational structure is an advantage;
- Strong analytical, research and drafting skills;
- Good organizational skills with ability to process and classify information quickly and efficiently;
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people from different national and cultural backgrounds, whilst maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
The OSCE is not in a position to pay any remuneration or cover any expenses incurred by the intern during his/her stay in Sarajevo nor reimburse travel expenses. However, interns selected who are non-residents of Sarajevo may be eligible for some compensation towards their living costs in Sarajevo. The internship lasts up to six (6) months and does not constitute a commitment to future employment with the OSCE. The selected intern interns shall provide the OSCE with evidence that he/she has health insurance coverage which is valid for Bosnia and Herzegovina, otherwise he/she shall be obliged to join the OSCE group health insurance scheme for the period of their internship, at their own expense. The OSCE will cover life and disability insurance for the duration of internship.