Seminar / Conference
18-20 June 2018 | Tallinn, Estonia
This seminar is for youth workers, policy makers, developers and initiators of eParticipation processes interested in exploring youth eParticipation and gaining skills and knowledge for setting up successful digital youth participation processes.
What is eParticipation?
“Participation is sharing, becoming involved and taking action. This implies that citizens choose to actively participate in, and contribute to, public decision-making at different levels (i. e., local, regional, national and European). In the case of eParticipation, this involvement and participation in decision-making takes place electronically through the use of online information and internet-based technology. In a political sense, the term expresses the fact that many aspects of the everyday lives of citizens are determined by political processes. Essentially, eParticipation is interactive online policy-making in action “(youthpart, 2014).
AIM OF THE SEMINAR:
This seminar will dive into the world of young people’s eParticipation: explore what is it, how it can enhance opportunities and quality of youth participation and discuss the context around it – how digital developments have and will change interaction and participation. It will build awareness about eParticipation through mapping of the landscape, including challenges and opportunities around eParticipation; learning about practical tools and discovering options for the future work. Participants will have the chance to gain basic skills and knowledge needed for successful youth eParticipation processes.
OBJECTIVES OF THE SEMINAR:
– to explore the concept, principles, trends and examples of eParticipation;
– to discuss changes connected to digital developments, including data and the implications they can have for participation;
– to provide participants with understanding of how to use eParticipation in their work with young people;
– to learn how to use eParticipation tools and platforms;
– to explore the future possibilities in the field of eParticipation;
– to provide space for participants to share their local realities and good practices;
SOME KEY WORDS RELATED TO THE TOPICS TACKLED AT THE SEMINAR:
– big data
– local vs global participation
– offline vs online participation
– eParticipation tools and platforms
– liquid democracy
– eParticipation training and curriculum
PROFILE OF PARTICIPANTS (who are we expecting to apply?):
Participants are expected to:
– be active youth workers/leaders, youth policy makers on various levels (local, national or European) OR developers/initiators of (eParticipation) platforms and digital solutions;
– possess an understanding of/vision for and/or a prior experience with facilitating and enabling youth participation;
– have the willingness and opportunities to apply, multiply and implement ideas and knowledge gained at this seminar in practice;
– have a good command of the English language.
Application deadline: May 4
Contact for questions: Kairi Birk
E-Mail: [email protected]
Before applying please contact the NA of your residence country to check if it is involved in this concrete project and committed to cover travel costs. NB! Learn about possible participation fee and other relevant rules.
This event is funded by the Erasmus+: Youth in Action Programme. If you will be selected for this seminar, your accommodation and travel costs relevant to your participation in the seminar will be covered by the National Agencies (NAs) or SALTO PI – except a participation fee which varies from call to call and country to country.