This year, World Nomads Travel is looking for 3 aspiring travel writers to go on assignment in Portugal and be mentored by professional travel writer and contributor to The New York Times, Tim Neville.
On the trip, you’ll attend a comprehensive travel writing workshop with Tim and witness the evolution of this age-old civilization as it emerges as a hub for digital nomads and creatives. Then, you’ll be sent off to uncover the stories of the people who give life to the historical heart, sweeping coastlines and cobbled lanes of one of the oldest countries in Europe.
To be chosen for this scholarship you’ll need to convince the judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing. Your writing should showcase:
- Great descriptive ability (without getting flowery);
- A well-structured narrative and a strong eye for detail;
- Ability to uncover a great travel story and tell it in a compelling way;
- Excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés.
- International Flights: Receive a round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Portugal
- Professional Mentorship: Attend a 4-day workshop with Tim Neville and receive a portfolio review from Norie Quintos.
- 10-day Trip: Embark on a bespoke 10-day adventure with USD 1000 and free accommodation
- Writing Guide: Score a copy of Lonely Planet’s ‘How to be a Travel Writer’.
- Rail Pass: Explore more of Portugal and Europe with a 1-month Global Eurail (or Interrail) pass.
- Travel Insurance: As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads.
How to apply?
- Select your story theme: “A leap into the unknown”; “Making a local connection”;I didn’t expect to find”;
- Write a travel story: Use your chosen theme to craft a compelling story about a travel experience you’ve had in 700 words or less;
- Complete the application form: Fill in your personal details so they know how to contact you should you make the shortlist.
For more information, please visit the official web page.