Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 28-February-2018
Position Title: Media Resource Website Editor – Balkans Media Assistance Program (BMAP) – 50% time
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and at least one local language in BiH
Starting Date: 15-March-2018
Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
The USAID-funded Balkans Media Assistance Program (BMAP) is a regional media support project in the Balkans focused on strengthening the competitiveness, sustainability, and cooperation of the independent media sector in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia. BMAP will aim to make media more competitive in the local and regional marketplaces and strengthen the sustainability of the independent media sector across the region, particularly in the digital space.
The BMAP project will build an online resource that will provide media outlets with tools and learning opportunities to improve their financial sustainability; engage wider audiences and expand their reach across the region; and foster stronger partnerships to advance solutions on common challenges in the digital space. The platform will include both training resources for journalists and other content creators as well as a content sharing platform for use by media across the region. It will also disseminate information about BMAP grant competitions and facilitate ongoing learning throughout and after the project.
- Develop technical specifications for both the training and content sharing sides of the platform, manage the bidder selection process, organize user testing of the beta versions of the new site and platform, and work with the web development company to refine the final products.
- In collaboration with other project team members and consultants, develop content for the training side of the platform, including webinars, tools/resources, video tutorials, etc.
- Work with country-based project coordinators to identify and develop country-specific content of interest to the region based on input and feedback from project partner media outlets and other platform users.
- Curate the content uploaded to the content sharing side of the platform, ensuring proper organization and tagging and facilitating translation as necessary.
- Serve as first point of contact for users who are having trouble accessing content on the platform or uploading their own. Facilitate the resolution of usability issues in consultation with other relevant project staff and vendors.
- Promote the platform and its content through social media and other online channels
- Moderate the platform’s social media accounts, comments sections (if applicable), and other audience engagement forums.
- Monitor usership data for the platform and work with other project staff to adjust content strategy and planning in order to expand viewership, drive engagement, and improve learning outcomes
- Contribute content and data to project reports and communications materials as requested
- At least four years’ experience working as a journalist/editor for an online media outlet required, experience as a trainer/mentor for multimedia content producers preferred (work samples/portfolio will be requested from shortlisted candidates)
- Experience managing freelance or remote contributors
- Deep familiarity with multimedia/interactive content production tools, social media platforms, and digital engagement strategies
- Working knowledge of search engine optimization techniques, analytics data, and social media marketing strategies
- Proficiency using an online content management system required, experience working in WordPress preferred
- Experience with web development and/or user interface/user experience design strongly preferred
- General familiarity with political, economic, and social issues in the Balkan region.
- Comfortable working with colleagues from different Balkan countries
- Passion for inspiring others to try new tools, approaches, and techniques in their journalism
- Ability to generate ideas rapidly, follow through on them with minimal supervision, and consistently produce high-quality work on deadline
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Fluency in one Balkan language required, English language skills strongly preferred
- Knowledge of more than one Balkan language a plus
- Bachelor degree in related field or equivalent standard of education.
Qualified candidates are invited to send their motivation letter and CV with three noted references to [email protected], e-mail subject line: BMAP – Media Resource Website Editor.