The DANISH REFUGEE COUNCIL (DRC) is an international non-governmental organisation, which provides help and protection to refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. The Danish Refugee Council is currently working in more than 30 countries around the world. Our work with refugees and internally displaced persons ranges from emergency aid to promotion and implementation of solutions, addressing root-causes.
The DANISH REFUGEE COUNCIL (DRC) has opened the recruitment process for various national posts in Bosnia and Herzegovina, within the framework of the programme contributing to enhance the humanitarian response to the refugee/migration crisis.
Position Title: Translator for Farsi/Cultural Mediator
Duration: 6 months.
Duty Stations: Sarajevo, Bihac and Mostar with extensive travel.
- To translate from Farsi into English or B/C/S languages in support of the DRC project team;
- To provide precise interpretation between Protection Officer and other service providers and Persons of Concern;
- Occasionally provide written translation when required;
- To perform cultural mediation activities;
- Other tasks as required by the Protection Officer to support the implementation of DRC’s activities.
Qualification and skills:
- Excellent verbal and written Farsi skills are required. Additional languages (e.g. Arabic, Urdu, Pashto) will be considered as an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and B/C/S language is required for this assignment;
- Flexibility and commitment to work long hours in the field;
- Available to extensive travel;
- Extensive vocabulary and ability to accurately translate complex ideas and information, capacity to understand and translate, legal, procedural and medical information;
- Culture and gender sensitivity;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Valid driving licence would be an asset;
- Minimum 1 year of professional experience;
- Previous work experience as a translator with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Method of application:
All applicants are strongly encouraged to send their electronic format applications to
with the vacancy number clearly indicated in the subject heading and well before the deadline stated below.
Interested applicants are required to provide both a CV and one-page motivation letter in English.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.