USAID/Sweden FARMA II – Description of Project
USAID and the Government of Sweden have awarded Cardno USAID and the Government of Sweden have awarded Cardno Emerging Markets USA a five-year contract for implementation of the Fostering Agricultural Markets Activity II (FARMA II) project in Bosnia & Herzegovina (BiH). The purpose of the FARMA II Project is to create agricultural and agribusiness economic opportunities for BiH farmers and entrepreneurs. USAID/Sweden FARMA II will achieve this by assisting agricultural producer organizations to adopt European Union (EU) and international agricultural and food standards and new production techniques, produce new high value products and expand their access to foreign and domestic markets.
Scope of Work: Graphic Designer (STTA)
Bosnia and Herzegovina has a strong deficit in the agri-food sector, reaching over BAM 2 billion in 2018. Trade deficit is recorded even for some products where the production capacities are generally strong, suggesting that improvements may be necessary with strengthening branding and marketing strategieswithin the local companies.The consequent lack of product appeal is one of the reasons domestic retailers often give more and better shelf space to foreign products.
Many producer organizations (POs) in BiH that USAID/Sweden FARMA IIis working with have very poor visual identity. Logos are often improvised, labels are poorly designed and most of the POs do not even have any promotional materials, such as leaflets, posters or roll-up panels necessary for proper representation of their companies during local and international trade fairs. Following the demand from the field, USAID/Sweden FARMA II intends to support positive changes in branding, labeling and promotion of domestic products. This activity envisions consultancy support in two areas: (1) Direct technical support to selected POs in (re)designing their logo, packaging and promotional materials; and (2) Supporting the collective promotional activities, events and publications organized / developed by FARMA II, in order to better promote the BiH agricultural sector.
Purpose of assignment
The purpose of this assignment is twofold: (1) to assist producer organizations to improve their graphic design in order to attract consumers, boost sales and access new markets; and (2) to improve the visibility of FARMA II project and its beneficiaries by designing the relevant materials for international trade shows, local promotional events, catalogues, posters, brochures/leaflets and other items as needed. The activities foreseen under this assignment are expected to help POs to improve their visual identity, which will lead to increased brand awareness, increased sales, development of new distribution channels, or new product development.
USAID/Sweden FARMA II is planning to further support the POs to improve their marketing practices and create better market results. This will include the following activities, with deliverables as specified below:
(1) Direct technical support to selected POs in (re)designing their logo, packaging and promotional materials
Specific tasks for individual assignments will depend on PO needs and will be defined by the brief prepared by USAID/Sweden FARMA II and shall include but are not limited to:
- Design new or re-design existing logos;
- Design labels and/or packaging, including secondary packaging;
- Design business cards, memorandums, leaflets, posters, roll-up panels and other promotional materials;
- Design websites or relevant inputs for web design or presence on social media platforms;
(2) Supporting the collective promotional activities, events and publications organized / developed by FARMA II
As required, support the USAID/Sweden FARMA II project with graphic design:
- For events such as conferences, round tables, seminars, trade fairs and similar.
- For publications such as catalogues, posters, brochures, leaflets and similar.
At the end of each individual assignment, the consultant should plan to submit all deliverables (source files and pdf/jpeg/tiff or other relevant formats) in line with the received brief, together with the short presentation of “before & after” materials.
Timing and Level of Effort
Total LOE is estimated at up to 40 days and is expected to take place betweenSeptember2019 and October2020. Indicatively, around 70% of consultants time will be used on the first group of activities (direct support to selected POs), and the remaining 30% will be used to support FARMA II with other visibility related needs.
Regular communication with FARMA II supervisor will be expected throughout the assignment period.
Qualifications and skills:
- University degree in graphic design, or other relevant education is required;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in designing logos and labels for the agricultural/food processing industry is highly desirable, as well as the experience in the production of various catalogues, posters, brochures and other such materials;
- Possess required hardware and software applications to perform the above tasks;
- Practical knowledge and experience with label design for products from the agri-food value chain will be considered an advantage;
- Must be highly organized and comfortable working on multiple simultaneous projects and be deadline-driven;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in BiH languages;
- Knowledge of English is preferred;
- Proven ability to work in a team and under pressure.
Please submit all of the following via option “BRZA PRIJAVA“:
- Cover Letter with CV;
- Up to five recent examples of previous work preferably from agriculture or food processing. Submit in pdf or jpg format and if possible show “before and after” situation;
- Reference list of clients over last 5 years with contact details;
The closing date for the receipt of applications is August 11, 2019.
Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd is an equal opportunity employer.
All information received will be treated with confidentiality.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.