The Adaptation Fund (AF) finances projects and programs that help vulnerable communities in developing countries build resilience and adapt to climate change. Initiatives are based on country needs, views, and priorities. The AF is an innovative financing mechanism established under the Kyoto Protocol of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. Its innovations include a groundbreaking direct access modality which allows vulnerable developing countries to access financing from the Fund and build national capacities to adapt to climate change directly.
Since becoming fully operational in 2010, the Adaptation Fund Board has committed USD 477 million in 76 countries to climate adaptation and resilience activities. These include 73 concrete projects across a diverse range of adaptation sectors, including coastal zone management, sustainable agriculture, water and food security, rural and urban development, forests and disaster risk reduction.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will be part of the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat and report to the Manager and work under the direction of the Manager and Communications Officer of the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat.
The internship consists of assisting the designated supervisor in internal and external communications activities, website content management, communications outreach coordination, daily operations, administration and multimedia campaigns. The position will expose the intern to many aspects of the AF’s operations.
Specific duties include:
1. Assist in researching, writing and preparing communications products, such as multimedia stories, brochures, web pages, presentations, targeted campaigns and other assignments;
2. Provide support to developing and posting materials on AF’s social media channels, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr and YouTube, as well as other emerging channels;
3. Assist in updating website materials through posting of documents, policies, news, photos, videos and other items to the AF website, using WordPress content management system;
4. Provide event planning support through assistance with logistics, lining up speakers, sending invitations, setting agendas, developing PowerPoints and related conference materials;
5. Develop, organize and maintain contact databases for AF materials to be sent via email, e-newsletters and ConstantContact; and assist with sending materials;
6. Assist with developing and updating AF flyers and other promotional graphics materials and branding campaigns, in both print and electronic forms;
7. Research complex climate and technical information about country adaptation projects and summarize it into user-friendly key messages for project web pages, communications products, news and social media posts;
8. Support and assist with outreach such as mailing, shipping and online dissemination of promotional materials, as well as development of webinars and online surveys;
9. Manage AF photographs and post to Social Media and Flickr albums, as needed;
10. Assist with media monitoring, compiling of social media and external press results and other related Communications and Outreach activities, as needed;
11. Assist with logistical support, print preparation and delivery of communications materials through traditional mail and shipping, as needed;
12. Produce or assist in the further development and dissemination of communication and knowledge products, and support the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat in other tasks as deemed necessary.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 1-3 years of relevant professional work experience; graduate students are encouraged to apply; must be available to work in DC office a minimum of three days/week;
- Must have strong data management, organizational skills and familiarity with a wide variety of diverse communications platforms; strong skills across social media platforms, and multimedia story platforms such as video development and photo sharing channels;
- Experience with website content management, and development of user-friendly content with visual graphics for the web and social media, including web pages, flyers and Twitter cards a plus;
- Experience with Content Management Systems such as WordPress strongly considered;
- Interest and experience with Event Planning highly desired;
- Interest in and experience with Social Media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and Flickr, and targeted multimedia communications campaigns strongly considered;
- Proven ability to work in a team and intercultural environment, with minimal supervision;
- Excellent oral and written command and communication in English;
- Self-starter and high degree of motivation, flexibility and reliability, and ability to work efficiently and accurately under tight deadlines; ability to think logically, creatively and interact with others;
- Detail-oriented, and ability to research complex information and synthesize it into accurate user-friendly formats;
- High interest and experience in communications or journalism, along with climate change, environmental issues and international development a plus.
The duration of this internship is initially six months, with the possibility to extend for an additional six months;
- The internship includes a paid stipend.
How to apply?
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected] with ‘Communications Intern’ in the subject.
For more information, please visit the official web page.